Heavy rainfall, thunder and lightning is occurring over Bribie Island as Ex-Tropical Cyclone Marcia passes and continues to move south.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 9:20 am, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Caboolture, the area southwest of Caloundra, waters off Caloundra and northern Bribie Island. These thunderstorms are moving towards the south. They are forecast to affect Strathpine, Redcliffe, Deception Bay waters and Comboyuro Point by 9:50 am and Brisbane CBD, Tangalooma, northern Moreton Island and Cape Moreton by 10:20 am.
Destructive winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
A waterspout was observed near Mooloolabah which moved over land and has caused some building damage.
- Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.